Sunday, April 3, 2011

Happy Little Tree....



Thank you Bob Ross for the inspiration for the title to this post. I loved watching that guy paint when I was at home from school during the summers....Anyway, on to OUR happy little tree!




We are putting some finishing touches on Kinsley's room this weekend. In my previous post, you can see we are doing her room in sort of a nature-ish theme with greens, browns and mixing in some pinks and other fun colors. Thanks to some cute bedding from pottery barn, we have also ran with the bird theme. When searching for a mobile for her room, I found a really cute that I loved...only it didn't come in birds, just butterflies....SO that was a no go. I then decided to make my own. It was going to be very simple....just needed a wire wreath kit, some fishing line, some cute ribbon and a bird punch that I could make mass quantities of little paper birds. Got everything I needed at Hobby Lobby minus the bird punch. They didn't carry one darn bird punch. Tried Joanne's. Nope. Tried Walmart. Nope. Tried Michael's. Nope. Well, crud. Found myself back at square one.




I then thought about getting one of those cool vinal stick on things in the form of a tree limb to add a little "something" to the large wall behind her crib. While that would have looked nice, I got to thinking, it would really not do much for Kinsley visually when she was laying in her bed....It was then that I went a completely different direction and started looking around our yard for large sticks that may fall off of our trees. Our neighbor's yards weren't safe either. I looked and looked but didn't see anything that would work. Dang it. It was only a week or so later that a tree in our backyard needed to come down. Needless to say, I hit the mother load in terms of branches! I am quite sure the tree trimmer guys thought I had lost my mind, but I didn't care. I was climbing over branches and under limbs on a mission for "the right one". I found it soon after and drug it (or is it dragged...?) off to a safe place. I couldn't risk loosing it via the wood chipper after all of this!




I will not continue to bore you with the multiple random thoughts that went through my head to get us to the point we found ourselves at today, which of course is a semi-finished mobile.




Here are the pics!



This is how it all started. Just a plain little twig.

Added a little of this....

To get this.....


The before picture.


Added a little of this...


And got this!!


I plan on adding more birds soon. It was a fun project that Jimmy and I got to do together for Kinsley. I hope she likes it.


Paint: $5.00


Bird houses: $11.00


Hardware and Ribbon: $6.00


Birds: $2.00


Limb: FREE :)


Making a one of a kind mobile for sweet little Kinsley....PRICELESS!!


And that is the story of our Happy Little Tree!



2 comments: